Friday, December 23, 2005

The 10 Second Delay


I've come to terms with the fact that my reading will probably always outstrip my blogging. I'm on my third book since Smashed, and yet I've not told you about any of them. So, in chronological order: Ghostfire (Outcast Series #3); Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie; and Idiot! A Love Story with Drama, Betrayal and Email.

Ghostfire's prequels, Outcast: The Un-Magician and Dragon Secrets were fresh and fun. I picked them up because I love Christopher Golden's Body of Evidence series. The premise was that Timothy, who has long been hidden from society, is suddenly thrown into his father's world where everyone is a magician, everyone, that is except Timothy. Not only does Timothy not have magic, he actually negates any magic he comes in contact with. While labeled a dangerous freak by the powerful in the guilds Timothy must overcome those prejudices, learn to operate in a world where every task is run by magic and solve the random mysteries and injustices that crop up in each book. He of course has a ragtag group of side-kicks to help him along. I really enjoyed the first two books, but my interest lagged during the third as the tale has become predictably formulaic, which hasn't yet happened with the other series. Good boy pick, ages 8-12.

No comments: