Saturday, January 14, 2006

Plane Food: Round 3


I'm not a big non-fiction reader, nor am I much of a reader of adult titles. It is, therefore, quite surprising (well, to me) that I have read two adult non-fiction books within a month. Within the month in which I started a blog. So that's odd. Anyway, I love to cook, but I've always been scared of those old cookbooks that called for lard or unmentionable bits in everything, cookbooks that considered food served in loaf shape the height of couture. I have my grandmother's 1927 edition of Joy of Cooking. I had, therefore, an idea of just what Julie Powell was into when she set forth on a quest to cook all of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. From there it is marrow, maggots and melodrama, hoofs and humor. And a lot of swearing. I genuinely enjoyed it. The Julie/Julia Project started out as a blog, became wildly successful and then became the book that I just read. I have to be honest, with the exception of a few desserts and the potato and leek soup, I'll never have any desire to undertake such an endeavor. Oh, and I'm still scared of old cookbooks...

No comments: