Thursday, February 23, 2006

The long-time winner


Despite its overwhelming lead in the poll, I put off reading this because: a) I needed to reread Eragon, b) it got rather mediocre reviews, and c) it's one long freakin' book. I'm not quite sure why so many people were so disappointed with this offering; it is pretty much on par with what came before. It is true that what similarities in plot or characterization there were in the first book to Tolkien and other fantasy greats are more obvious in this one, but it is Epic Fantasy, what do you expect? I think that the first book garnered so much attention because of Paolini's age - people who wouldn't normally pay any attention to the book had to comment and did so in light of his 'prodigy' status and were expecting something to be different in tone or language in this book that would belay his more mature years. Personally, I think that some maturity was evident in the more complex elements of the story. Too much growth would have created a entirely different book that might not have been true to the first. I will admit that there were some very obvious 'tricks' or twists in the story, but that didn't mean it was any less fun to get to the revelations (and prove me right! I do so like to be right).

No comments: