Monday, September 03, 2007

Breakfast is always best then.


Awesome title. Great cover. "Eh" book. People seem to compare it to Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, but I think that it's closer to an older title that has alternating boy/girl voices: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. Although, now that I really think about it, Scrambled Eggs at Midnight is probably the dot connecting those two books.

Calliope's moved A LOT. Eliot wishes more than anything that he could get away from the Religious Fat Camp his father runs in North Carolina. When Calliope's nomad mother follows a Renaissance Faire circuit (Delores is a wench. Really.) to Eliot's town, Cal may just have found the place she can call home. If only she can convince Delores.

So, why am I just lukewarm about the title? Nothing terribly specific. It's not that I didn't like it, but Brad Barkley & Heather Helper's joint project just didn't read terribly fresh. Bad parents, bad religion, teens who know better, one wise adult. The Renaissance faire stuff was unusual and interesting, and I believed the characters, but somehow I just didn't connect to them. I didn't care. Maybe because the broad strokes of the ending were a forgone conclusion, and the elements that weren't, were rather unlikely.

There are some very cute moments in it that are tempered with our teens relationships with their "good" parents (as literally opposed to the "bad" parents each have). Cal's feelings toward her father are especially well done, and Eliot's mother is actually a fascinating character. She's torn between her role and her desires, and there was great insight there. It's a light, amusing romantic read, and the alternating voices will make it an easier sell since you'll be able to tailor the book talk to the sex of your audience.

But hey, I'm not the only one who has an opinion on this one:

Kip
TinyLittleLibrarian
Literate Mama

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one I skipped but I did love their latest Dream Factory. Check it out - I think you will be pleased.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

I read Scrambled Eggs at Midnight liked it but probably wouldn't highly recommend it. It was okay, but Nick and Norah's was way more awesome and has more street cred. in my opinion. I'd recommend Scrambled Eggs at Midnight to someone who's more conservative or religious.

Jackie Parker said...

I don't know if I'd give it to conservative or religious people. Religion was not portrayed favorably at all. That was one of the other problems I had with the book. The father was such a stereotypical pseudo-religious hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...you're right the dad figure wasn't portrayed positively and was somewhat misdirected. I had forgotten about that.

Anonymous said...

You guys need to read more carefully, I think. The dad is an interesting mix...he loves his wife, loves his son, but is caught up in business. Nick and Nora has "cred" because it has a bunch of four-letter words? Give me a break. Plus Eggs is funny, funny (their new one, Dream Factory, even more so...I laughed out loud).

Jackie Parker said...

I really wish that people wouldn't hide behind "Anonymous." I wonder if I can change that...

Anyway, Anonymous, stand up for your opinion by at least giving us a name by which to address you. I might disagree with you, but that doesn't mean I, or anyone who reads this blog, will think less of you. I LIKE debate. 'Specially bookish debate.

I believe that the father is a poor representation of religion because he was using it as a business gimmick. He didn't treat his family well, and made very poor choices. Gayle and I were conversing in regards to whether the book was a good recommendation to conservative or religious audiences.

As for 'street cred' in Nick & Norah's. Yeah, I'd say you'd have to have some swearing to qualify for street cred. Oh, and Nick & Norah was better written. That helps too.

I'm guessing that you have some issues with four-lettered language. That's fine, but one must realize that some people DO talk like that. The beauty of novels is that, while fictional and through whatever filter of setting, they reflect REAL life. In real life teens swear. Some of them a lot. But not all of them. Which is why you find some teen novels with swearing, and others without.

As for the humor level in Eggs; it was amusing, at best. But that's just my opinion. As is everything else on this blog. Feel free to disagree with me anytime, but at least give me a name.

Thanks for reading,
Jackie