Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith

I just want to say that at the moment, I'm completely enamored with FLYGIRL BY SHERRI L. SMITH. Completely enamored. I'm only 50-odd pages in, but I'm already very invested in Ida Mae's story, and I hope it continues to make me happy.

'Cause really, all that matters is MY happiness, right?

From what I can tell at the moment, it will be about a black girl passing as white to fulfill her dream of flying - taking her only chance to do that by joining the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP - anyone else find that ironic?) during WWII.

(This is me, trying to microblog and keep this blog alive. Let me know what you think.)

'Course I outta put it down in favor of Steinbeck's Ghost since I'll be having dinner with the author Lewis Buzbee on Thursday, along with uber-fan Colleen & the so-awesome-I'm-a-little-scared-of-him Philip Lee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm hosting buzbee at mclure this friday. i started reading steinbeck's ghost the other day, and need to pick it back up again. please let me know how your dinner goes and any suggestions you might have for our author visit.

Laini Taylor said...

Ooh, I want to read that. I met the author in line for the restroom at an SCBWI conference and we discovered we had the same editor -- she was at work on a new draft of this book at the time and described it to me. Sounds awesome.

Cheers!

Little Willow said...

This is in my to-read pile. :) Enjoy your dinner-event and enjoy the books!

Melissa said...

This is in my TBR pile, too. I must get to it. At the very least, I'll look forward to getting to it now... :)